Brazilian Special, January 21, 2011
We just put up a new recipe on the website – homemade ice cream (made in zip lock bags – a great activity for children). We have our new camera, but we’re having difficulty loading the pictures.
This Thursday night is Tu B’Shvat – the New Year for the trees. Lots of people celebrate the holiday by eating a lot of different fruit from trees (and especially the special species – dates, pomegranates, grapes, figs). Almonds (as you may already know) are also from trees, as are cashews. And speaking of the Brazilian special – the cashew is actually the stem of the caju fruit (grown in Brazil) and they roast the stems and then take the inside of the stem out which is what we eat as cashews.
You can get sushi from Tuesday to Shabbos – $6 a roll.
Brazilian Special – $15 a person – Please let us know as soon as you know, preferable by noon on Wednesday.
- Acarje – Brazilian black eyed pea croquette – a famous Bahian dish
- Moqueca: a white fish stew with coconut sauce with cashews (for an additional $4)
- Feijoado (black bean stew with meats) (for an additional $3)
- Estrogonofe do Sul: Chicken or beef Strogonoff with coconut milk – (beef is an additional $4)
- Vegetarian (ask about the vegetarian option if you are interested)
Sides (you can pick 2):
- Brazilian Style Rice (or plain rice)
- Fried Sweet Potatoes or Plantains
- Palm Heart Salad
Dessert ($3 upgrade):
- Baked Pineapple
For orders over $75 and in the eruv, there is free delivery. For orders under $75 there is a $5 delivery charge or you can pick up.
If anyone would like to send me ideas on specials – we would very much like to hear from you, send us an email or post a message on the website.
Please keep us in mind if you are having a dinner party, sheva brachos, vorts, etc during the week – we would very much appreciate the opportunity to put together some delicious food for your special occasions.
Feel free to forward this to a friend; if you have any friends who want to sign up for our email, let me know and we’ll sign them up.